Without question, your donations directly impact patients at WakeMed Health & Hospitals. Because of your generosity, the quality and complexity of care throughout our system continues to evolve and grow. Making an investment in WakeMed means you’ve made an investment in the health and well-being of the people in our community. Since 2005, donations have directly impacted more than 40 different departments throughout the system supporting hundreds of important projects and programs.
- Expand and renovate WakeMed's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in 2014, now consisting of 48 patient beds, including 27 private rooms. This allows parents to spend almost unlimited time with their baby, provides privacy to facilitate breastfeeding, and allows better control of lighting and sound for sensitive preemies.
- Enabled us to build Wake County’s only children’s hospital in 2010. Children in our area now have access to a highly sophisticated, yet kid-friendly facility where advanced pediatric services are available.
- Allowed us to expand WakeMed Heart & Vascular Services, North Carolina’s busiest heart program. Our outstanding staff of cardiologists, surgeons, nurses and other specialists uses the latest technology and techniques to perform more than 28,000 procedures each year.
- Helped us to move forward with the much-needed expansion of WakeMed’s Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), which serves premature and critically-ill babies and their families.
- Provided funding for education for employees, patients and their families through grants and skills scholarships, pediatric diabetes and asthma programs, rehabilitation programs and parent education information. This enables our clinical staff to learn and utilize the most recent advances in medicine to improve quality of patient care and provides patients and their families with the information they need to cope with ongoing illnesses.
- Purchased needed equipment such as thermometers, fetal monitors, car seats, infant warmers, and even emergency response vehicles.
- Allowed family and waiting areas to be made more comfortable, including the addition of the Ronald McDonald Family Room in the Children’s Hospital and Interactive Floor in the Children’s Emergency Department.
- Supported important programs such as,
- SPINE camp – a fun and educational event hosted by WakeMed Rehab and Raleigh Orthopaedics, designed for children and their families dealing with the physical and emotional aspects of various spinal conditions.
- Club REACH – a program designed for individuals who have incurred loss of some physical functioning through illness or injury, to provide twice a week opportunities for recreation, leisure and fitness.
- Safe Kids Wake County – a program, led by WakeMed Health & Hospitals, to reduce preventable injuries and death of children through education, advocacy, and distribution of lifesaving safety devices to families in need.
- Pet Assisted Therapy – a program designed to enhance the quality of life for rehab patients by assisting therapists in patient goal-oriented programming and by introducing patients to the benefits of having a service dog.